This is a new one to me. I got some beautiful zucchinis for free and thought, what could I do with these? I had some fresh basil on hand and added some potatoes to bulk it up.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 small yukon gold potatoes
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Be careful with the basil; start with a little and taste it. I LOVE basil and could eat it in everything, but good fresh basil is pretty peppery. The strong flavor might be too much for some babies if you put a lot in there.
Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes and toss into a steamer basket or double boiler. Steam potatoes for about 10 minutes. Since potatoes are starchy, they need a head start on the zucchini.Here’s how you make it:
- Meanwhile, cut the zucchinis into 1/2 inch thick half moons and add to the potatoes. Steam another 5 minutes or more until tender. It’s important that the zucchinis and potatoes are roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Allow veggies to cool for a few minutes. Put steamed veggies in your food processor along with basil leaves and parmesan cheese. Blend well. Add water to bring to a thinner consistency if desired.
- Taste! Add more basil or cheese if you want to.
If you want this to be gluten-free, just make sure you get straight up parmesan cheese. Some grated cheeses are coated with starch, so carefully check the ingredient list or get a block of solid parmesan. You could easily exclude the cheese to make this dairy free. In my opinion, there are few things that aren’t improved by the addition of cheese, and most babies do fine with cheese even if they are sensitive to cow’s milk.